Help COECOE w HW PLEASEEE!!!
Thread started by Coe coe buttaa
at 05.4.11 - 12:19 am
Another term of school... another round of essays to determine my worth!
I'M FREAKING OUT this time because I have a very limited amount of time to turn this one in and intend to be in LA by Thurs. Anything helps as long as it's on topic and again, no pressure for responses... THANK YOU!!!
So here it is:
1. You are discussing media representations with a friend who argues that it really does not matter what images are on television because “we can all choose to turn it off, ignore it, nobody can influence how we think.” Having read a number of articles addressing this very topic, from a Cultural Studies perspective, you beg to differ. According to what we have read (in Rothenberg and Dines & Humez, etc) how and why are stereotyped and ideologically constructed images of race, class and gender problematic? How do they influence varied audiences (say women, working class men, children, etc.) and us?
Define, explicate, and give examples for any three of the following terms. Do not define all terms, just three.—be focused and don’t ramble.
1. Dominant and oppositional reading 6. Social construction of race and gender
2. Political economy 7. Maternal representations in media
3. Gay stereotypes (Simpsons) 8. Pornographic eroticism and sexual grotesquerie
4. Hegemony, ideology 9. Masculinity in talk shows (Rome)
5. Cultural Jamming
(for that second part, I've chosen to discuss #6, #7 and #3)