1895 cycling advice to women
Thread started by anty
at 12.1.11 - 11:39 am
"The below list was originally published by the New York World in 1895.
Itís not known whether the author(s) were male or female, but that doesnít make it any less ridiculous.
For those who get nostalgic for that 1890s golden era of cycling, itís important to realize it wasnít golden for everyone. Major Taylor can vouch for that.
Besides, did anyone really think that making a list of 41 ďdontísĒ would encourage more women to ride?
* Donít be a fright.
* Donít faint on the road.
* Donít wear a manís cap.
* Donít wear tight garters.
* Donít forget your toolbag
* Donít attempt a ďcentury.Ē
* Donít coast. It is dangerous.
* Donít boast of your long rides.
* Donít criticize peopleís ďlegs.Ē
* Donít wear loud hued leggings.
* Donít cultivate a ďbicycle face.Ē
* Donít refuse assistance up a hill.
* Donít wear clothes that donít fit.
* Donít neglect a ďlightís outĒ cry.
* Donít wear jewelry while on a tour.
* Donít race. Leave that to the scorchers.
* Donít wear laced boots. They are tiresome.
* Donít imagine everybody is looking at you.
* Donít go to church in your bicycle costume.
* Donít wear a garden party hat with bloomers.
* Donít contest the right of way with cable cars.
* Donít chew gum. Exercise your jaws in private.
* Donít wear white kid gloves. Silk is the thing.
* Donít ask, ďWhat do you think of my bloomers?Ē
* Donít use bicycle slang. Leave that to the boys.
* Donít go out after dark without a male escort.
* Donít without a needle, thread and thimble.
* Donít try to have every article of your attire ďmatch.Ē
* Donít let your golden hair be hanging down your back.
* Donít allow dear little Fido to accompany you
* Donít scratch a match on the seat of your bloomers.
* Donít discuss bloomers with every man you know.
* Donít appear in public until you have learned to ride well.
* Donít overdo things. Let cycling be a recreation, not a labor.
* Donít ignore the laws of the road because you are a woman.
* Donít try to ride in your brotherís clothes ďto see how it feels.Ē
* Donít scream if you meet a cow. If she sees you first, she will run.
* Donít cultivate everything that is up to date because yon ride a wheel.
* Donít emulate your brotherís attitude if he rides parallel with the ground.
* Donít undertake a long ride if you are not confident of performing it easily.
* Donít appear to be up on ďrecordsĒ and ďrecord smashing.Ē That is sporty.
The suggestion to not coast is referring to one taking their feet off the pedals of a fixed gear bicycle on downhills."